Zumba Gold Classes in Sydney
Join our Fun, Beginner-Friendly Course
in Chatswood or Rozelle
A unique approach to Zumba Fitness that's suitable for ALL levels. Our classes follow a truly beginner- and injury-friendly format. You don't need a dance background, and you don't need to be young, fit or thin (but it's also OK if you are). All you need is the desire to have fun dancing your way around the world!
Want to be part of it?
Not sure what it's all about? Read on, or watch this short video.
|Beth says: "I love your classes.
"I’ve been doing zumba at the gym. It’s good, it helps fitness and bone density, but it’s also frustrating. At the gym, the music is hideous and blaring! And the moves are repetitive.
"Which is why I came to your class. I love your choreography! You understand music and dance – not just fitness – the fitness is there, but it’s integrated into the music. Fitness and bone density are important for me (I’ve got osteopenia), but what I love is music and dance.
"The level was perfect. Not everything was easy, I had to think about it. And I noticed you subtly encouraging me to do more intensity. Higher knee lifts were hard to do! but I’ll work on it. Good to have mastery, and also good to have a challenge. So thanks for a great class!"
What is Zumba Gold?
Zumba® fitness is a fun dance workout based on spicy Latin and international rhythms. It's not a dance style; instead, during the class you will experience a range of music and dance styles from all over the world, plus some familiar pop songs too. Experience a taste of salsa, reggaeton, cumbia, bollywood, samba, African, hip-hop and more!
Zumba Gold takes this format and makes it lighter, so it suits all levels and ages. We simplify the moves so that it's easy to follow, take out the jumping and other tricky steps, and offer a range of options so that everyone finds what's right for them. Soon you're moving, dancing, laughing, clapping and sweating it out while having a blast.
It is NOT what you see in TV commercials or in videos. It DOES follow the same format of exercising to Latin and other rhythms, but speed and moves are slightly toned-down. These minor changes accommodate the needs of the biggest segment of the population: mature people, those who are injured, pregnant or postnatal, new to exercise, or anybody who needs, or simply prefers, a low-impact, easier-to-follow dance exercise class. What is NOT toned-down is the happy atmosphere and the FUN we have every time we get together!
What is Zumba Toning?
Who wouldn't like to be stronger? In Zumba® Toning, we use light weights to add muscle conditioning to the Zumba class. In our classes, we only use the weights for a short portion of the class - giving you the best mix of toning to firm up your muscles, and pure dancing where you can let loose. Find out more about Zumba Gold-Toning on the official website - then come back here to book yourself in and get started!
How does it benefit me?
Besides enjoying yourself for an hour, Zumba Gold / Toning can help you experience better general health and well-being, stronger muscles, improved balance and coordination, and the ability to perform the activities of daily living for a long time to come. If the group or your health requires it, we can exercise sitting down. You still get a great workout and most of the benefits of the regular class. The class is designed with the abilities of each specific group in mind. (Light weights can be used to increase tone and muscle strength.)
"Oh no, it's not for me..." Let's tackle some of the common excuses.
- Totally unfit? Don't worry, we will start out with low intensity moves and will always offer options to suit every level. You'll be shown how to match the moves to your fitness level. Whatever point you are starting at, it'll do you good!
- Too old? Never! Zumba Gold is specifically designed for the mature or special needs participant.
- Too young? Kids aged 10-15 are welcome with a responsible adult, and are half price. (Under 10s really are too young, sorry. Talk to me about starting a Zumba Kids class at your school or after-care centre.) Over 16 year olds may attend with parental permission.
- Two left feet? It doesn't matter! Zumba isn't about performing or getting it perfect, it's just a wiggle and a giggle. But don't be surprised if you find your coordination improving!
- Injured? Arthritic? Other health concerns? Injury doesn't have to mean not exercising at all. There's a good chance we can accommodate you by offering special variations. Let us know the nature of your injury, and your doctor or physio's advice. Safe dance is important to us and we always offer low impact options. You can even do it in a chair!
Small, specialised classes
It's easy to get started with Rachel's beginner-friendly approach to dance fitness. Our step-by-step teaching and progressive courses make it easy to learn. Ours are small-scale, boutique classes: unlike at gyms, we don't pack fifty people into the class. Numbers are capped to make sure everyone can see the instructor and gets individual guidance. Perfect for those who are new to Zumba (or any form of dance or exercise), post pregnancy, or recovering from an injury.
Beginner? More mature? Or tried it before and found it too hard?
Don't worry, we'll make it easy! Our easy Zumba program is run as a structured course suitable for anyone, even absolute beginners who have no dance experience or don't exercise much. We take it step by step, so unlike at gyms, you won't be intimidated in your first class. Students range in age from under 10 to over 60. Rachel can modify the moves to suit your individual needs. Read the review of our class in Seniors magazine 50UP.
Zumba classes are different at Inspire! Bellydance because...
- they are suitable for absolute beginners, even if you think you have two left feet.
- high-impact moves like jumping and hopping are avoided, so it's kind on your joints.
- we start out with lots of repetition, and as the term progresses, we learn more new choreographies and styles one by one. Each class will revise the previous week's routines, adding new ones when we're ready for a new challenge.
- each week the intensity of the workout increases so your fitness will improve and you'll burn more calories.
- the teacher is an experienced dance teacher: it won't feel like an aerobics class.
- we don't just use Latin dances, but also Bellydance, Samba, Bollywood, African and more! Classes have included dances from as far afield as Ireland, Serbia, Ghana and Greece. Real choreographies with real cultural zest.
Of course, all our Zumba classes begin with a warm-up and end with a cool-down. In between, you'll learn simple, fun choreographies from a range of world dance styles such as salsa, merengue, reggaeton, samba and maybe even bellydance. Meanwhile, you'll improve your co-ordination and understanding of rhythm and music. The routines feature interval training sessions where fast and slow rhythms and resistance training are combined to tone and sculpt your body while burning fat.
"I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed it. You are a truly inspiring teacher." - Lynn
"It is great to be doing Zumba again, it is great fun and I am feeling much fitter already!" - Madeline
"Staff and students thoroughly enjoyed the Zumba session with Rachel. The session was tailored to our requirements and incorporated a range of dance styles, reflecting cultural diversity. Rachel is an engaging instructor who was both professional and fun, presenting a positive attitude to exercise and fitness." Sue - Childcare Teacher / co-ordinator
In short, if you'd like to improve your cardiovascular fitness in a dance party-like atmosphere with an international flavour, then Zumba is for you. And if you want it to be accessible and easy on the joints, then Zumba Gold is the specialty that's best for you. The addition of light weitghs with Zumba Toning makes sure you'll get stronger as well. So come along, give it a whirl and find out how much fun it is. Zumba Gold classes are on Mondays in the North Shore and Thursdays in the Inner West.
Term Dates 2017
Term 1: Monday 30 January to Thursday 6 April
All terms are 10 weeks unless otherwise stated. Classes continue to run on public holidays during term dates. If you're unable to make it, come to one of the other locations another night to catch up!
Check out the links page to sample some of the great music we've used in class lately.
Rachel is an accredited Zumba instructor and member of the Zumba Instructor Network, with qualifications in Zumba® Basics 1, Zumba Gold, Aqua Zumba, Zumba Sentao, Zumba Kids and Zumba Kids Jnr. Check out Rachel's official profile at http://67021.zumba.com/
Inspire! Bellydance and Zumba Fitness classes in Sydney: Chatswood 2057; Rozelle 2039 NSW Australia.
ZUMBA ® and the Zumba Fitness logos are trademarks of Zumba Fitness, LLC, used under license.